Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What do I do dog she has diarrhea She is a 7 pound mixed…

Customer Question
What do I do for...
What do I do for my dog she has diarrhea
She is a 7 pound mixed breed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see diarrhea in dogs for a range of reasons. This can be anything from bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, nutritional sensitivities, IBD, cancer (GI lymphoma), general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

Now as long as she isn't likely to have eaten something she shouldn't have, you aren't seeing blood in her stool, and she isn't feeling poorly; there are some supportive care measures you can initiate here. To start, consider putting her onto an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and reduce her diarrheal load. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

As well, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, diarrhea in the dog can be caused by a range of issues. Still, if Sophie is showing none of those more worrisome signs I noted, then we’d want to start supportive care for her now. Of course, if she doesn't respond to that within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable antibiotics, anti-protozoal treatment if needed +/- fluids to settle her gut and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?
nekovet