Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Maltese Shitize is 13 years old weighs 9 kg and has a

Customer Question
hernia lump on her left...
My Maltese Shitize is 13 years old weighs 9 kg and has a hernia lump on her left rear.
The lump is on her bum. What kind of cost am I looking at for her surgery.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now since you referred to the lump as a hernia, I do suspect Misty has a perineal hernia that needs surgical correction. While it can look like a lump, it really isn't one. Instead its actually a condition where the muscles around the rectum soften. When that happens the the abdominal contents (ie gut, bladder, etc) are able to push into that area of weakened muscle and that appears to be a bulge.

With that in mind, as I am sure you can appreciate, this isn't a straight forward surgical procedure. Her vet cannot just remove the lump but instead has to repair those weakened muscles to prevent her other organs from pushing through it. This is actually quite complicated and is an operation that few general practice vets actually do. Instead, this is often a surgery referred to specialists and I can say that they can change between $2000-3000 for the operation.

So, if this is a lump and you said hernia by mistake; then the estimate may be a bit high. But if this is a perineal hernia that needs correcting, then the estimate your vet gave is actually quite reasonable for the surgical work they will have to do. That said, if you feel it is too much for you, you can ring your other local vets for an estimate. You may find a practice that can offer you the operation for less. And if you do, they may be your best avenue for having this done or your own vet may even price match that for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no extra charge to do so). If you have any lingering questions, please just let me know. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian