Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 20lbs 4 month old puppy ate 6 cymbalta 30mg pills. She…

Customer Question
My 20lbs 4 month...

My 20lbs 4 month old puppy ate 6 cymbalta 30mg pills. She seesms fine and like her normal self. her nose is cool and moist. Do I need to rush her to the emergency vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I checked on her at 4 pm and she was fine and the pills were in the daily pill box on the table then. I came home at 7:30pm and the box was on the floor empty. I know she has eaten during that time and her bowels seem fine and she is urinating fine and no more than normal. i really dont know any more than that.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Please give me just a few moments to calculate the level of concern

In most cases we see no problems unless given at doses higher then 20mg per kg

With your puppy at 20 pounds (9.1 kg) and ingesting 30 mg x 6= 180 mg that would mean the ingested dose was 19.8 mg/kg so we are right at that cut off of concerned dosage. If this is sustained relief formula then we can see toxic signs at a much lower dose such as 1.5 mg/kg but if it was the normal formula then monitoring for symptoms listed below...

Clinical signs can include dilated eyes, agitation, hyperactivity, trembling, stumbling when walking. If any of these develop then she should be seen by a vet immediately. While I would not expect to see any serious symptoms keep an eye on her as any dog can have a unexpected reaction.

Symptoms can occur anytime overnight so please monitor her closely for these symptoms

Please let me know who else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes this evening

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!