Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Female Chihuahua who is 13 years old has within the last…

Customer Question
My Female Chihuahua who is...
My Female Chihuahua who is 13 years old has within the last two weeks became very mean. All of a sudden, she growls and bites me if I move at night and wake her (she sleeps with me) and she tends to hide under the bed and attack people's feet if they get near her. This is not her normal behavior.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Good evening this is Dr Gabby. Before labeling her as a mean or aggressive dog I would have blood work done to rule out metabolic disease that can affect behavior or even cause aggressive behavior. Things such as liver disease, kidney disease, thyroid disease, diabetes, or adrenal gland disease can all cause abnormal behavior. A blood test will rule that in or out.

I would have her eyes checked. Loss of some vision can make them insecure or fearful. Loss of hearing can do that too.

Pain is also a common cause of aggression. And the aggression may be her sign of pain. The vet can check her over.

It is also possible that she is becoming senile and losing her ability to reason and make correct decisions.

But I would definitely rule out medical causes first. Does that help? Do you have any additional questions? If you are all set can you please rate my answer by clicking the stars? Many thanks

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian