Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Bayne: My name is ***** *****. My issue is regarding my

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Bayne: My name...
Hi Dr. Bayne: My name is ***** *****. My issue is regarding my dog's creating. breathing My dog, Carter, is an 11 year old Pomeranian Poodle. He seems well, but today started making funny noises when he breathes. it's not with every breath - perhaps every 5th or 6th. It sounds a bit like a gurgle, a bit like a squeak. He doesn't seem to have any nasal discharge or anything
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He does have a narrowed trachea and regurgitation so he "works "horks" a fair amount. About once a week he spits up yellow bile with it. He "horks" more when he is excited. We give him Pepcid 10 mg a day for that. Other than that, he is normal and healthy. Even today his energy and everything seems fine. It's just this weird noise. He has been rolling his head around in the snow as usual, as he loves to do this. I don't know it that has any relevance at all. Should I be concerned or just wait it out and see? He has a vet appointment booked for March 5th for his annual. Just wondering if I should race him over there tonight or not
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short.

I am sorry to see that your pet Carter is not fairing so well today. Breathing problems in a pet with a history of tracheal collapse is a concern that the collapse may be getting worse. And the gurgling sounds you hear sound like potential fluid in the airway, which is never a good sign.

I am concerned at this point based on your description for sure

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

With the regurgitation also it is always a concern that some of the vomitus can go down the trachea and cause issues with the airway as well. Poor Carter has two things that are not working in his favor for a healthy respiratory tract. - Dr. H

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian