Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 year old cocker - she has chronic ear

Customer Question
infections. Currently her skin as...
I have a 10 year old cocker - she has chronic ear infections. Currently her skin as become very "crusty". I am not sure if her odor is ear or skin related any more . I have been treating her with rx shampoo but nothing seems to be working. She has glaucoma and arthritis.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Chances are that the odor is coming from both areas. Cockers do tend to get allergy and sebaceous gland issues. Either one can lead to secondary bacterial and yeast infections on the skin. Antibacterial and antifungal shampoos are helpful, but I would use them at least twice weekly and leave it one for 10 minutes. But, the shampoos often aren't enough. She most likely needs to be on an oral antibiotic and/or antifungal medication to fully get rid of the infection, but regular maintenance with bathing or medications to control allergies may be necessary. The ears can be much harder to deal with. If there is a lot of swelling associated with the ears, chances are that the swelling is permanent due to her long standing ear infection history. In that case, the infections will be permanent and usually necessitate removing the ear canal (total ear canal ablation) to resolve the infection. I would talk to your vet, though about a potential middle ear infection that is persistant or even a psuedomonas infection in the ear. Those are very common with chronic ear infections and usually causes that damage with the swelling. They are often in the middle ear and resistant to a lot antibiotics. Culturing the ear may prove useful. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian