Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just started "randomly" urinating (in front of me) -

Customer Question
even in the car....
My dog just started "randomly" urinating (in front of me) - even in the car. Do dogs get UTIs like cats and are not able to control their bladder? Hopefully? I do see a very small about of yellowish discharge...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Yes, dogs get UTIs all the time. Most are ascending infections up the urethra, but there could also be an issue with the kidneys, prostate (if he is not neutered), bladder stones and diabetes. I would have your vet run a urinalysis on him to look for an infection. If deemed necessary from the results of the urinalysis, they may need to check blood work or x-rays to look for any of those other causes. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian