Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy has chewed my 12mg fentanyl patch,what should I do…

Customer Question
My puppy has chewed my...
My puppy has chewed my 12mg fentanyl patch,what should I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your puppy Kenzi bit into a 12mg Fentanyl Patch. I have some questions for you.

How long ago did this occur?

How is she behaving now? Is she lethargic/sedate, uncoordinated when walking, breathing slowly and are her pupils small in size?

Did she actually chew on it for a while, did she ingest any, or just bite the patch once?

Was the patch used or a new one?

If used how long had it been used for?
Fentanyl is a potent opiod and the patch formulation makes it easy to absorb the drug across mucous membranes (gums & tongue).

It can be fatal if absorbed in high quantities.

The usual recommendation if the pup ate the patch isn't showing symptoms yet is to induce vomiting. BUT ONLY INDUCE VOMITING IF SHE IS BEHAVING NORMALLY. Dogs that are symptomatic have already absorbed too much and could aspirate their vomit and die.

Give 1 tablespoon of peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight. Then take her out and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling. She needs to get rid of the poison. If no vomiting in 10 to 15 minutes repeat the dose. You can give the peroxide directly or with a little canned food or bread chunks.

If she vomits the patch then follow up with 1GRAM (not milligram) of activated charcoal per pound of body weight every 6 hours for 2 doses to bind the drug & block absorption.

If she doesn't vomit the patch or is showing symptoms (lethargy/sedation, pinpoint pupils, incoordination, slow respiratory rate) an emergency clinic visit is best to monitor and maintain blood pressure, for heart monitoring, and to give the reversal agent, naloxone.

With prompt appropriate treatment they usually are fine, but untreated they can die secondary to a low heart and respiratory rate and low blood pressure.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****