Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is my name. My Beagle weighs 25-26 lbs. I picked up s

Customer Question
Is my name....

Is my name. My Beagle weighs 25-26 lbs. I picked up his Nexgard today and the dosage is for dogs 25-60 lbs. That seems like overkill to me. I was wondering if there was a downside to cutting the pill in half -- just don't want him to have too much product but want to make sure he is protected.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My Beagle weights 25-26 lbs. His nexgard dosage is for dogs between 24-60 lbs. Want him protected but don't want to give more product than he needs. Is it ok to cut the pills in half?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. Thanks for requesting me; I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your Beagle. As you might expect this is a question that often gets asked for those dogs who are close to the cut off weight for oral and topical medication such as Nexgard.

As far as flea and tick products go, Nexgard is one of the safer ones, I'm happy to say. And, there's often a dosage range for many drugs (not just this one) which is why there's such a wide weight range.

You could certainly cut the pill in half (the active ingredients are equally distributed in the pill) but I'm not sure that he would be adequately protected if you do.

If this were my dog, I'd give the entire pill but you could give him 1/2 if you wanted. I hope this helps. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian