Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, she weighs 51 lbs ate a 37.5 mg er effexor. ///what…

Customer Question
My dog, she weighs...

My dog, she weighs 51 lbs ate a 37.5 mg er effexor. ///what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 1 and 1/2 y/o

Veterinarian's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?

Yes. I just found some of the time release capsules so I dont thinks she ate the whole thing

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please call me

Please accept the phone call request so I can get your number and then I will be glad to call you back at once ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just standing by for your phone call details ...

Would you prefer a written answer instead?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Written answer

Hello again

I have been working out a written answer for you while I was waiting ...

1. Where a dog has swallowed any sort of drug not intended for it then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

2. Having said that if you fail to induce vomiting then at this sort of dosage all you are likely to see is mild sedation and then the dog will recover some hours later. Of course it is just common sense that you should monitor your dog and contact an ER vet if any odd symptoms occur but this would be unlikely in my experience.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Anabel is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Effexor incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott