Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just rescued a very active and inquisitive 9 lb Maltese…

Customer Question
I just rescued a very...
I just rescued a very active and inquisitive 9 lb Maltese female, who will be 3 in April.
I left her in the apartment for about 30 minutes, and when I came back, the bottle of Immodium was open on the floor with most of the tablets spilled on the floor. It was a new bottle, of which I had taken a few, after counting them, to the best of my knowledge, I do not think she ingested any. What should I do, and what should I look for?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Kathleen,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Kathleen,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Hopefully as you say Chanel did not swallow any of the Imodium in which case you have nothing to worry about, but where there is any suspicion that a dog has swallowed any sort of drug they should not have then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. This drug is sometimes used in dogs but it actually has quite a narrow therapeutic dose range and overdose is possible particularly in smaller dogs like yours. Overdose of this drug can be serious in dogs, typical overdose effects include central nervous system, GI, cardiovascular or respiratory toxicity. Even with doses that are given within safe range can produce side effects like constipation, bloat and sedation. There is also the possibility of pancreatitis as well. So if you do not elect to induce vomiting as a precautionary measure then you should monitor your dog carefully and take it to an ER vet at the first sign of trouble. Read more on how this drug is used in dogs HERE

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Kathleen,

I am just checking back in to see how Chanel is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Imodium ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Kathleen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chanel. How is everything going?