Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Female standard poodle has not urinated in 24 hours nor

Customer Question
pooped. eating and drinking normally...
female standard poodle has not urinated in 24 hours nor pooped. eating and drinking normally. going into heat soon. storms all day rain and thunder and when i take her out she wants to come back in and freezes up. does not like storms. will not go on wee wee pad.what can i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you haverequested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarianand I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing her straining like she wants to pass urine or feces?

Any belly discomfort when you press between her back legs?

No and no. She finally urinated last night with no problem. But nothing else. She is definitely in or going into heat

Thank you,

First, if she is going into heat, that can be stressful and make them feel unwell but is unlikely to be the trigger for the signs we are concerned about. That aside, I am glad to hear that she isn't showing any of those more worrisome signs I asked about and is now passing urine.

Now her signs are likely behavioral in origin (if she is finding the storm distressing and thus outside an undesirable place to doing something that makes them vulnerable like passing urine/feces), but there are some tricks we can use to "encourage" her to pass stool.

In regards ***** ***** so, we can start treating her with cat hair ball treatment. This is an OTC mild Gi lubricant and can just get things moving for her. Alternatively, we can also add a few milliliters of Miralax, Lactulose, or food grade mineral oil to her food. (ideally to canned food since its high in water which is good for preventing constipation but also easier to use these mixed in). As well, adding fiber to her food (ie spoonful canned pumpkin, all brain, etc) can also help restore fecal regularity and help "push" anything in the GI through the gut and get her passing stool even if the storm is making her less then keen to do so.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll behappy to respond. *Please remember torate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the onlyway I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian