Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is diabetic. He also has a chronic ear infection.

Customer Question
My dog is diabetic...

My dog is diabetic. He also has a chronic ear infection. Today he suffered a sudden drop in blood sugar. This has happened twice before, and always a few days after finishing a round of antibiotics.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's around 10 or 11. He's had diabetes for about 2 or 3 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I have known dog's blood sugar levels to drop { Or indeed rise } following a course of antibiotics, the most likely reason for this would be that antibiotics can alter the population of bacteria in your dog's intestinal tract and so affect your dog's ability to digest carbohydrate.

2. If the above is the cause then if is rarely a cause for concern and things will gradually return to normal over the next week or so. If you are able to monitor your dog's blood sugar then give a bit more carbohydrate rich food over the next couple of days to prevent hypoglycaemia and then gradually go back to your dog's normal diet.

3. Also Live yogurt added to the food can often help. You see some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a couple of tablespoons twice a day is enough for an average sized dog. But probiotics have the same effect.

4. Of course if you are not able to stabilise your dog's blood sugar by the above common sense means then you should have your dog checked over by your vet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucky is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his diabetes control ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian