Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate 8 tabs of rimadul. 75 mg tabs each. She seems

Customer Question
My dog ate 8 tabs...
My dog ate 8 tabs of rimadul. 75 mg tabs each. She seems fine. She also had distemper and rabies shot today so is a little more tired than normal. What is the therapeutic range on rimadyl? I am a nurse. So need to know if it has a fairly wide range
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How long has it been since she ate the rimadyl?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!She weighs 65 pounds. We estimate that she ate the rimadyl around 530 it is now 10 so approximately 4.5 hours ago.She is a little more tired than usual, but still playful. Eating and drinking. No emesis or diarrhea No whining She does not appear to be in any distress at all.I am u sure if I have hydrogen peroxide in the home right now. No, no peroxide.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I mentioned she had her rabies and distemper today which can account for her being more tired That was around 315
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't receive an email indicating my answer was ready. Sorry for the late reply
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try and check back again in a while. I am going to try and get some sleep. I hope to hear back from you soon. Thank you again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure how this works or how long til I get a reply again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow. Disappointing that there has been no reply

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. But, I was offline by the time you came back. When you post a question you will work directly with an expert live on real time. If you leave then the expert may not be there upon your return, at that point your option are to post the question to another expert, opt the expert out or wait until the expert comes back. I am sorry again but I didn't know if you were coming back so I left for the night.

In response to your question, the therapeutic dose for rimadyl in dogs is between 1-2mg/lb every 12 hours. The toxic dose for single acute overdoses of 20mg/kg or above we tend to see gastrointestinal ulceration. Doses above 40-50mg/kg we see renal failure. In this case your dog took a dose of 20mg/kg so she is within range for gastrointestinal ulceration, abdominal pain, vomiting, etc. I would recommend you start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours for the next 7-10 days. If you develops symptoms like: Anorexia, vomiting, abdominal pain, etc. have her checked immediately by family veterinarian. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloey. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian