Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Italian mastiff had swollen lymph nodes in jaw, axillary,

Customer Question
Italian mastiff had swollen...

Italian mastiff had swollen lymph nodes in jaw, axillary, rump.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Like? Recently developed. Not tender. Currently sites not seen to interfere with eating. Dog does not seem uncomfortable

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How old is he?

Has your vet evaluated these areas yet?

5-7 yrs. Vet first answer cancer. Needs expensive surgery.

Thanks for the information. With those many lymph nodes enlarged, I would agree and say that this is most likely lymphoma. If it was anything else like an infection or immune system problem, it would have to be severe to cause all these lymph nodes to enlarge, and she would be extremely sick. If you vet hasn't aspirated the lymph nodes or taken a biopsy for the lab to evaluated, I would definitely got route. This wouldn't be a surgical disease, though. Your vet can put her on high doses of steroids to decrease the size of the lymph nodes and slow the progression of the disease, but it will eventually progress. Lymphoma does tend to respond well to chemotherapy and can put dogs into remission for years. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John