Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has had an abcessed tooth off and on a year. He is 4

Customer Question
He has had an...

He has had an abcessed tooth off and on for about a year . He is 4 years old. we are struggling financially and cant afford 650.00 dollars for the vet to pull it. I have tried every resourse out there with no luck. i wanted to know if I can give him amox-clav and how much. Copper weighs about 9 pounds and I have tablets that are 875-125, I know that this is probably a temp fix and that the tooth should come out but my hands are tied and I dont want him to suffer, I have been doing my homework as far as the antibiotics for dogs and I know its ok I just dont know how much to give him. The vet we use wont answer me over the phone, they want to see him again .its all about the money for them. if you can help Copper I would appreciate it. thank you, Sheri

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I understand you have a pet with an abscessed tooth. Yes these can be expensive to treat so I can sympathize with you there.

And yes Clavamox tabs will buy you at most 2-4 weeks of time. Using antibiotics beyond that is a recipe for creating resistant bacteria that will fester and then you really have a problem on your hands, so I highly advise against it. Also not to mention that Clavamox would not be my go to medication for an infection in the mouth. It is probably my 2nd option next to Clindamycin (Antirobe).

Just let me know you are connected to the chat and I will continue the conversation. Thank you! - Dr. H

Dr, H, I do realize that this is not the solution to fix the problem, however, at least it would give him relief and me some time to further looking into financial help to resolve this issue. Im not looking for a way out here. my dog is like my child. It pains me to think how it must hurt and it breaks my heart because I feel so helpless.I know its okay for him to take the medicine I just wanted an educated doctor to tell the right dosage. Thanks for your time any way. I will keep on searching until I find some one who is willing to help copper Sheri
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi so sorry for the delay I was having issues with the site.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

And I know you wish to do the very best for him. Have you looked into financial assistance websites like http://www.CareCredit.com They are able to give you a line of credit for your pet's medical needs and you can easily apply online. That is my best advice for financial assistance.

I can give you the recommended dosage for Clavamox for dogs. It is 12.5 mg/kg every 12 hrs for up to 21 days typically.

To help with your conversion 1kg= 2.2 lb

I hope this helps!

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I hope this answers your questions and you are able to move foward with care for your pet. Is there anything else I can assist you with? Any more questions or concerns that I haven't addressed?

-Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

If you are satisfied with my answer I would ask that you provide me a rating at this time so I can receive credit for assisting you and your pet today.

If for some reason you are also having issues with the site and still have questions, feel free to ask me and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet