Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a middle aged dog. Male minding/terrier mix. 14

Customer Question
We have a middle...

We have a middle aged dog. Male minding/terrier mix. 14 pounds. He is very quiet and calm. Rarely ever barks. Has been an outdoor dog his whole life. My wife and I are over the road truckers. We have been contemplating taking him with us for a while and yesterday we did. We always thought that he would be an excellent candidate for a trucking dog. Left home yesterday. So far he won't eat,won't relieve himself at all outside.(we have stopped many times)he just will not go. So far no bowel movement. Last night he was lying on the bed for him and sat up and started licking himself. I Chet and he peed lying down. Did it again this morning. We won't be home for three weeks. HELP please. Thanks ***** ***** J. Georgia.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Please read what I sent already. He has stayed in the house overnight and never had this problem. In house he has always held it till we left him out.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. i'm sorry to hear that your buddy hasn't taken as well to travel as you thought he would! There is still hope though. This is all still very new, so it's definitely possible that he will warm up out of this once he gets settled. Some dogs really are more sensitive than others, and some will take forever to allow themselves to eliminate in an area that's unfamiliar to them. Not eating for a day or so when he's in such a new situation is also not all that unusual. It sounds like he held his urine all day because he didn't want to urinate in the places he was offered, and then when he fell asleep and his muscles relaxed, all that urine that he'd been making an effort to hold in came out. If he's making a concerted effort to hold it in, then eventually when he relaxes, it's going to come out. If he's not eating or drinking, that will also decrease the amount of urinating and defecating that he's going to need to do as well. If he's acting fine in every other way, then it's probably just a matter of time for him to get adjusted to life on the road. If he's acting ill or lethargic or begins to vomit, then I'd try to have him examined by a vet - your best bet is likely going to be to find an emergency hospital near your route, unless you know of a hospital in an area that you're going to pass through. It could also be that he's got a urinary tract infection (although these usually cause them to pee more frequently and in smaller amounts) or a prostate issue, but from your description this does sound like it could be behavioral. Please let me know what he's up to and what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian