Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We're having our bathroom redone and there's a lot of debris

Customer Question

We're having our bathroom redone and there's a lot of debris laying around. I'm not sure if my dog got into it, but she just vomited and is now shaky. Should I be worried? What can I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She threw up her food that she ate about 12 hours ago. Now every time she breathes in she shakes. She's sleeping noe Now.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me what may be in the debris that she may have eaten? Plaster, any chemicals, gorilla glue, etc?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plaster is definitely in the debris. She hasn't wanted any water. She drank with her dinner 12 hours ago, but threw up her dinner just now.
Her gums look pink and feel moist. There doesn't seem to be any tenderness in her belly when I push.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure about chemicals or glue
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she hasn't any belly pain and that those gums are normal and showing normal hydration with their moisture. And while the shakiness will be alarming, its usually just a sign that they feel poorly.

Now with that in mind, while we need to tread with care in case she has ingested something non-edible like plaster, we can try some supportive care to try to soothe her stomach and get her settled. To start, if she is resting then we want to let her continue to do so. Still, once she is up, then we could if consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Though if she keeps that down and steadies, we can then start her with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Whichever you choose, you can add some fiber (ie spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) +/- a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment, lactulose, Miralax) to the food to encourage anything non-edible to pass out the other end.

Overall, we need to tread with care if she could have gotten into anything here. That said, since she isn't showing those warning signs, we can try some supportive care to settle her stomach. Though she cannot keep that or water down at any point, has those signs or any black stools/brown coffee ground like vomit, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any other issues present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet