Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 5 year old Yorker, teddy, has had black, tar-like

Customer Question

Hello - my 5 year old Yorker, teddy, has had black, tar-like stool for the past day and a half. He also vomited a little but acts normal except he doesn't want any dog treats. I'm worried that it could be something serious. Can you suggest anything? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. The biggest concern with black tarry stools is that there is a GI bleed in the upper digestive tract somewhere. That could be in the stomach itself like an ulcer or a tumor along the GI tract. But that is only one possible cause. The other things to think about would be a blood bleeding disorder like IMHA (immune mediated hemolytic anemia) and patients can sometimes bleed into their digestive tract as a sign of this disease.......another possible cause would be if Teddy got into something like rat poison that could cause him to bleed. I would strongly recommend that you take him to your vet at the earliest possible time.It is possible that he should even be seen tonight which I cannot say without exam or bloodwork.But he needs a thorough exam and fecal testing with occult blood testing of stool along with a complete blood count and chemistry test, 4dx test and urinalysis. This is the very minimum to get started. More testing may need to be done once these results are in. This is definitely not something to ignore. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Most Sincerely, ***** ***** rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need additional assisatnce. Sincerely, DRB