Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We came home from work this afternoon and my dog had made a…

Customer Question
Hello, we came home...

Hello, we came home from work this afternoon and my dog had made a mess in his crate. We have cleaned him up and let him use the restroom outside several times. I just turned around from studying and he is tracking blood onto the floor. This is coming from his butt. Any thoughts?\

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What would you like to know

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for requesting me,

Sorry for any delay, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. So your dog has diarrhoea?

2. How is he otherwise still quite bright and happy or are there any other symptoms { No matter how minor } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi. He had diarrhea. He hasn't gone in a bit. He is still bright and chipper. He is full of energy.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Blood from the anal area is always a cause for concern but where a dog is otherwise bright and happy and has had recent diarrhoea then it sometimes is caused by the rupture of a small blood vessel in the lower rectum which has blown because of diarrhoea related straining. If this is the cause then it is no problem and it will resolve when the diarrhoea goes, but if symptoms persist then have him checked over by your vet just to be on the safe side.

So controlling the diarrhoea could be the key, there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with diarrhoea and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, perhaps a tablespoon or so twice a day for a medium sized dog.

But as I said if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the anal bleeding ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott