Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Yorkie, Remy is 8yrs old and he has had these occasional…

Customer Question
My Yorkie, Remy is 8yrs...
My Yorkie, Remy is 8yrs old and he has had these occasional bumps on his skin they look like pimples or cysts and when they were checked out by a vet, he said if they get bigger come in but that they are very common. Now there is a scab and it looks like a clump from the cyst that I guess popped. This is a guess since I didn't actually see anything open. That cyst was there a long time and now it has just opened. Is this normal or common for these small dogs? Should I be taking another course of action besides just letting it heal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. From your description, I suspect that you may be dealing with a sebaceous cyst that arises from the oil glands. It will typically produce this soft, cheesy like substance. In some instances, these type of cysts can just open up, but they can also become infected. If infected, they are usually red, swollen and may even involve some bleeding. When they have ruptured or become infected, they can sometimes take a long time to heal. Your vet may be able to prescribe something to put on it topically to help it heal faster. He may also need some oral antibiotics. If not healing or looking better in a couple of weeks, though, it is usually just better to remove it and be done with it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet