Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 y.o. poodle mix has been scratching both sides of s…

Customer Question
My 11 y.o. poodle mix...
My 11 y.o. poodle mix has been scratching both sides of his face while wailing for the last 30 minutes. In between scratching and wailing, he would try be panting while trying to lie down and rest, but the rest lasts for about a few seconds, then he has to scratching his face again (looking more like smacking his face with his paw). he does that on both sides of his face.
He has been doing this since I adopted him 10 months ago, but it was never this intense and this long. It usually lasted for a few minutes and happened a few times a day. I thought it was some kind of chronic skin condition that he had grown to live with it.
However, it has been happening nonstop for the last 30 minutes and still happening as I type. It is painful to watch and listen to his crying.
please help.
Thanks,
Holly
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Such a pruritic (itchy) face is seen with food allergy/intolerance, drug reactions, and atopy - allergies to environemental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites. I need to consider underlying oral/dental pain as well. A lotion isn't appropriate but an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 2 mg/lb (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) might be palliative. Ideally, he appears to be uncomfortable enough that his vet should take a look at him. Drugs such as that antihistamine or perhaps an antihistaminic glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone could be administered as a fast-acting injection. In addition, the antipruritic tranquilizer acepromazine could be administered which would address both his itching and provide him with much needed rest at this time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish, Holly.

Thank you Dr. Salkin
I.think you may be right on the drug reaction. He had that an hour after the rabies shot. He seems to be okay now. Napping finally.
Thank you again
Since
Holly

Ah! Yes, that'll do it! Thank you for the good update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian