Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shitzu had puppies and they are a week old and my shitzu…

Customer Question
My shitzu had puppies and...
My shitzu had puppies and they are a week old and my shitzu seems to be breathing extra hard at feeding what should I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

My primary concern is hypocalcemia (eclampsia) which can initially present as panting which can progress to dyspnea (difficulty breathing). Supportive evidence of eclampsia includes anxiety, restlessness, pacing, whining, disinterest in her pups, pruritis (itchiness) and biting at her feet. Are you seeing any of these symptoms or any other worrisome symptoms?