Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old bichon.. suddenly was weak. took m to

Customer Question
My 12 year old...

My 12 year old bichon.. suddenly was weak. took him to emergency vet. said tumors or his spleen bleeding and tumors on half his liver... she said I had to put him down.. I'm still in shock and hope I did the right thing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Healthy dog 2 walks previous day. no problems.. went to vet 1/4 for checkup blood work perfect..

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am so sorry to hear that you had had to let your lad go. Still, if he had bleeding masses on both the spleen and the liver; you made the absolute right choice for him. Often these will tumors will lie latent and we won't even know they are present. The only way to diagnose them would be if he had happened to have an xray or ultrasound prior to their bleeding. Bloods wouldn't have given your vet any hint they were there.

In any case, they don't tend to be appreciable until they reach that critical stage and start bleeding. When they do, they will cause sudden deterioration and the situation you have reported (I have even had patients with this present having died on the car ride to us --it happens that quick). And while we can sometimes remove the spleen in these cases, with the tumors also on the liver his prognosis was poor even if we did do that. Especially since the liver masses were bleeding and the spread raises worries that it may have also been in the lungs.

Overall, I know this will be shocking and devastating since this type of cancer gives no warning at all. Still, you made the right choice, even if it was the hardest one to make. So, pleas do take comfort in knowing you kept him from suffering and that until that point where they started bleeding he didn't suffer and was able to live his life fully until then with you.

Please take care, my thoughts are with you in this difficult time,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)