Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My wife just noticed our Westie is trembling and has a wet…

Customer Question
My wife just noticed our...
My wife just noticed our Westie is trembling and has a wet nose??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 7 year old Westie boy Maggs. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Maggs, including anything from a behavioral/anxiety response to something around your home, to early signs of GI upset or a toxicity, or potentially this could even be a sign of pain. Whatever the case, it is going to be best if you can keep an eye on Maggs for the next couple of hours or so. If you can, encourage him to have a good drink of fresh water and make sure he can drink without an issue and keep the water down. Keep Maggs quiet and comfortable while you keep an eye on him.

In particular for now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If any of these parameters aren't right, or if the trembling continues, then you are best to play it safe and have Maggs seen by your local ER vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggs. How is everything going?
Pet Doc