Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can I give my dog an albuterol treatment

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She just started panting out of the blue and she acts like she is edgie. Or nervous. The panting is way out of character for her
2/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Does she seem sore anywhere?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, vomiting or belly tenderness?

Any access to anything she shouldn't eat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's hard t to do bc she pants off and on, she seem very agirated at times
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you,

If she is only intermittently panting; this sounds more like an agitated or sore dog as opposed to one in a severe asthmatic crisis or suffering with heart or lung issue. Therefore, we absolutely do not want to be giving albuterol. This is only used on rare occasions in tiny doses with dogs that have asthma. In fact, we see more cases of canine albuterol toxicity then dogs that actually need to be treated with it. Therefore, that is not something we want to give Leah in this case.

Instead, you need to have a good feel of her to look for areas of discomfort and you need to check her gum color. The gum color is very important since paling can be a sign that she isn't getting enough oxygen which could be due to a lung, heart or low red blood cell volume. Otherwise, if she is agitated and stressed, then we need to keep her calm. To do so, dim the lights, keep things quite and you can even consider giving a low dose of Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) as it can help mildly sedate and relax them. Otherwise, if she cannot settle or you do find an area of pain; then we'd want to have her seen by her vet for assessment and injectable pain relief. But again albuterol would not be appropriate nor safe for Leah and therefore should not be given since we don't want to do more harm then good.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She lucks her lips and she wants to just stand by my b bedroom door. No she doesn't seem sore any where her gums are pink. The only thing she may have had access to that I can think of would be if my son dropped half his adderall this morning, but Its not time released and it wold have been a half of a 10 mg tablet

Hello again,

Good, I am glad those are normal. Since you noted she licks her lips, has she had any appetite loss or gagging?

Is she the kind of dog that would have eaten the Adderall (since that would be a concern)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well she just pooped and it's watery and bloody, oh god what happened to my dog?

Hi again,

If we are seeing bloody diarrhea, then that will fit with why she was feeling agitated and panting. As well I have to say that if she got that Adderall, that may be our culprit here. As you may know it is an amphetamine and can cause agitation, hyperactivity, dilated pupils, rapid heart rate, panting, muscle tremors, as well as vomiting and diarrhea. Therefore, it very much fits with what you have seen and we'd be concerned that she did get that tablet when it was dropped.

In this case, if she passed quite a bit of blood, then we want her seen by the local vet now. If it was just a bit, you can choose to keep her calm, monitor and let this run its course. But if we are seeing lots of blood and she is severely affected, then it'd be best to have her hospitalized for IV fluids and supportive care to flush the drug out and get her settled quicker.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't answer back right away bc we went ahead and took her to the hospital which cost us about $1000 the t took x-rays found nothing and they gave her antibiotics and said it was gas or pancreatitis, however the gas theory is bogus, im sorry I've seen my dog with gas and I'm not buying it. I feel so guilty I can only hope she didn't get a hold of the medication. Makes me feel so careless. She is on tameril, and half of a benadryl daily due to allergies.

Good morning,

I am sorry to hear that they did a lot of tests that didn't give you much answer to the trigger for her signs. In regards ***** ***** you told me, I have to be honest and again say that it sounded like Adderall exposure. In any case, the symptomatic care they'd have given for the pancreatitis should help soothe her GI no matter which was afoot here and as long as we keep them stable any Adderall issues tend to pass within 24 hours and don't cause lasting harm. So, while she cannot tell us what happened and we can only speculate; we just need to focus on helping her overcome this and just be aware that the drug is a risk for dogs and make sure to keep it out of her reach.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian