Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a four year old female spoodle, i found a black hard…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a four year old female spoodle, i found a black hard lump, scabish like, on her back, hair is growing out of it, and she doesnt seem to be in pain at all when i touch it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Shandy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shandy?

Shes never had any other issues, or skin issues so this would be the first

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. When did you first notice the lump? Has it changed or grown? Would you like me to look at a picture of it? If so, you can post pictures on here using the paper clip icon.

Hi, i have no picture on me at the moment. i noticed it a week or tow ago, and it im not sure if it has grown however it definitley has not gotten smaller, and it doesnt seem to be a scab that could be picked off,
its about a centimeter long and wide, and is quite raised off the skin

Ok thank you. You can always take a picture later. Anytime there is a lump that is not shrinking then it needs to be examined by a vet in person.

Unfortunately no one can tell you a lump is suspicious just by looking at it.

The vet will dry cells out of the lump and look at them under the microscope.

If the cells look abnormal then the lump will need to be surgically removed.

I can tell you a lump that never changes or grows is rarely cancer.

You could try some over the counter hydrocortisone cream three times a day for a week.

If that does not shrink it then it needs to be seen by a vet.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?