Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dig yelped out in pain this morning...think he tried to…

Customer Question
my dig yelped out in...
my dig yelped out in pain this morning...think he tried to jump on the bed....he is in pain...Can I give tramadol and rimadyl tigether to relieve his pain to get him to the vet tomorrow?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

The combination of tramadol and carprofen (Rimadyl) is commonly prescribed when addressing osteoarthritic or neurogenic pain. The only contraindication I could imagine in your elderly Shih-Tzu would be a gastrointestinal disorder in which a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen should be avoided.

Dosing for Dean that I would consider would be 1 mg/lb up to twice daily of carprofen in conjunction with 2-5 mg/lb 2-3 times daily of tramadol. Always start at the lowest range of tramadol dosing and only increase the dose if necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dean. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian