Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bob, I have a question concerning pine cones. Are pine cones…

Customer Question
Good morning Bob, I have...
Good morning Bob, I have a question for you concerning pine cones. Are pine cones toxic for puppies?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If you would like my assistance, can you tell me if your lad ate the pine cone or part of it?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Hello Dr. B, his gums are pink, and no discomfort to his tummy when I press on it. He is starting to eat and drink now. I'm hoping that is a good sign. I was just concerned since he's only 4 monthe old, and he was eating on some pine cones yesterday at a friend's house. I am not sure if he ate any of it before I took it away from him.
He did vomit a little bit earlier this morning and I saw a piece of a stick in his vomit.

Good, I am glad to hear that he is starting to eat and drink for you. Though he does sound like a mischief maker if we are seeing sticks in his vomit.

Now the good news is that pine cones are not toxic themselves. where they can cause issue is when they eat enough to cause blockage of the intestines. So, if we aren't sure what he actually ate, we need to tread with care.

Since he has no belly pain or any of those signs I asked about, we can start some supportive care while keeping a close eye on him. To start, we can try him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any pine cone material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, pine cones are not toxic for dogs, but they can still cause problems if they eat quite a bit of them. Therefore, we want to plan to monitor him closely and can use the above to help push any pine cone or sticks through the gut. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. But any of those red flag signs and we'd want to plan to have him checked just in case he has eaten too much and gotten it stuck.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fay Fisher. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian