Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I own a 47 pound female Shepard ( age 3). Who is super

Customer Question
active Due to...
I own a 47 pound female Shepard ( age 3). Who is super active Due to food sensitivities we have eliminated dry food and is presently on raw and honest kitchen (white fish) diet. She is still very thin. I have been feeding her 3 x a day. Usually 1 raw beef mixture (primal) and 3/4 c of the dehydrated food from honest kitchen. Everyone tells me she should only eat twice a day. Why?? Thanks so much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
brisadog

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Did you already read my question?
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

There is nothing wrong with feeding her more than twice daily. Healthy adult dogs are generally able to do well with only two meals daily, but there is no reason why it would be unhealthy for her to eat more frequent meals.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes, I see the question. As far as determining the appropriate amount of food for her to eat, I need to know a bit more about what she is eating. Is the Primal the frozen version, freeze dried, or the Primal Pronto?

Frozen beef patties
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

And does she always eat her entire meal?

Tho I did just switch to the frozen ones from instinct raw by natural valley
Oh yes and looks for more. I rehydrate the honest kitchen fish and mix it together
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

Do you mean the Nature's Variety Instinct?

Her dehydrated food is " bravo " from the honest kitchen And her raw food is from nature variety
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

Great. Give me a few minutes to calculate how many calories she is ingesting every day and compare to her estimated caloric needs.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

I also need to know if she is spayed. And is she a very active dog? Average? Couch potato?

Super active. This is really taking a lot of time. And I am repeating myself a lot
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes, well, a detailed calculated answer takes time. She eats 2181 calories per day. For a very active dog, she should be eating close to twice that much. We need to increase her intake dramatically. This should not be done suddenly, but over the period of a couple of weeks.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

I would start by adding an additional raw patty twice daily. This will increase her caloric intake to 2933 per day.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

After a week, I would add a third raw patty (so two patties at each of her three meals) and increase her Brave reconstituted food to 1 1/4 cups per meal. This will increase her caloric intake to 4011 per day.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

Then we will need to watch her body condition and make sure that she maintains at a healthy weight, and that she does not continue to gain past her ideal size.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/

brisadog
brisadog
brisadog