Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog sounds as if he has the croup. Noticed last night and…

Customer Question
My dog sounds as...

My dog sounds as if he has the croup. Noticed last night and this morning that she is coughing up what looks like a glob of white mucus but before I can get to it she swallows it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

DeeDee and is around 9-10. not sure as she was originally a rescue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about DeeDee?

No other than she is the sweetest dog ever. She is a cross i think between a chihuahua and something else and is tiny. She is a barker for sure.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your DeeDee. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Did this come on suddenly? If it did, this is probably "kennel cough" or infectious tracheobronchitis. She does not have to go to a kennel to get it. I have been seeing a lot of it lately.

If she is eating normally, and her gums are pink in color, and came on suddenly, a course of antibiotics should help her. You can also give her Robitussin DM (only the DM form), 1/4th of a teaspoon up to 4 times daily, but if this is kennel cough, she should see your veterinarian for some antibiotics.

Other possibilities that cause coughing in small dogs are heart disease and a collapsing trachea, but these tend to come on slowly and gradually get worse.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer. Rebecca

I hope you could see my answer; what else can I help with?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian