Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog drank so excited standing water. Now I

Customer Question
I think my dog drank...
I think my dog drank so excited standing water. Now I realize her bowels aren'r right. They are frequent and loose and sometimes she has trouble going. Her opening is dark and now there is a bad odor. Her vaginal area even seems dark.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What kind of standing water did she drink (I think your auto correct may have changed what you typed)?

Any blood in her stool? What color is it?

How long has this been going on?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

When I press on her belly, she seems ok with that. Her gums are pink and Brown. I usually let her out to do her business so haven't paid any attention to her vowels except that it takes her longer and she goes to a lot of different spots, plus she still gets me up at night. At first it was several times. Now, I'm noticing an odor. She usually never has gas.The water had been standing for a while I suppose. I was at a friends house. It was a wooden garden pot so it was rain water but I did notice what could have been dead mosquitos floating in the water.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to see that she has none of those more worrying signs I asked about. In regards ***** ***** situation, it could certainly have been triggered by the contents of the water, but we can see these kinds of signs with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites/protozoa infections, and general dietary indiscretions as well. Therefore, we want to tread with care.

Now just to touch on some of the signs you have reported, the black discoloration isn't likely significant and may just be secondary to the loose stool irritating her genital region. That said, if she has vaginal signs as well, we need to keep an eye on her urination. It isn't uncommon to see diarrhea lead to bladder infections as the bacteria filled stool comes in contact with the vagina. Therefore, if you notice her straining to urinate or passing small amounts of abnormal urine, we may also have a bladder infection and antibiotics would be indicated.

That aside, there is some supportive care we can try to help normalize her stools, reduce her gas and the associated odor. To start, we can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Otherwise, we want to make sure we are supporting the good gut bacteria that allow her to normally pass firm stools and not have all this gas/odor. To do so, we can add an OTC probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to her food. As well, since her stools have been loose, we can use this with Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, we can use an OTC Kaolin/probiotic combination paste like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon). All will slow diarrhea but the dog specific probiotics will help re-establish her normal good GI bacteria. So, we'd want to use that here.

Overall, there are a number of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing but the water may be our culprit with your lass. In any case, while monitoring her urination, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her gut signs. If she is straining to urinate, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test urine and stool samples, and rule out any infectious concerns. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with antibiotics to settle all her signs and get her back to normal for you.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian