Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I adopted a 6-year-old momma Boston Terrier and purchased…

Customer Question
I adopted a 6-year-old momma...
I adopted a 6-year-old momma Boston Terrier and purchased her 3-week-old puppy for her. The puppy was 4-weeks old on 2/20/16, Saturday. I have noticed that the baby has been sticking her head in the food bowl along with momma and eating for the past 3 days. I noticed today that momma is just about dried up now. The baby is still feeding some from her. Because of this, I put canned puppy food in the dish tonight, and the baby greedily ate a good deal of it. She seems to be healthy and thriving with no harm done from eating her momma's goodies such as chicken, cottage cheese, and extra lean hamburger. I gave momma those things to enhance her diet, because she is postnatal. Momma also likes milk. Is this okay?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would avoid milk in mom. This is because it can cause diarrhea in older dogs. I would feed her an adult maintenance diet now that she is drying up. You can add the chicken/ hamburger to help entice her to eat if her appetite is off.

When it comes to the puppy, it sounds like she is weaning herself nicely. I would go with a canned puppy food for 1-2 weeks until she has enough teeth in to eat a dry puppy food. You can feed according to her weight and the instructions on the bag. They differ based on the number of calories per can/ cup.

Make sure you get the puppy seen by a vet in the next week or two to start her puppy vaccine series and deworming protocol.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.