Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We took our dogs camping in a very remote area in the woods…

Customer Question
We took our dogs camping...
We took our dogs camping in a very remote area in the woods of NC last night. The dogs would run off to explore and come back often when called, etc. They slept in the tent with us. At one point early this morning our three year old American bulldog wanted to get out of the tent. I let her out and told her to go pee while I stood there. She took off running somewhere. I called for her several times and she did not come right back. AFter about 15 minutes she returned and came inside our tent. Today Annabelle was not acting right. She would just lay sprawled out on her side and not move. At first I figured she was just tired after having alot of fun the day and night before and maybe hadn't slept well because it got pretty cold last night and she's typically a really good sleeper. Well Something seemed wrong. I approached her and was showing her love asking her if she was ok. When she got up, she was limping and seemed to be favoring one of her front legs. Something told me that i should give her a benadryl in the event that maybe she was stung by a spider or something. So I gave her one generic benedryl. In the car on the way home she was very quiet. Then at one of our stops to get gas she stood up like she wanted to get out of the car...as she was standing I noticed a little leakage of urine...which Ive never seen before...when I opened the door she was reluctant to jump down out of the truck which is abnormal for her. So I picked her up and placed her on some grass where she urined with no trouble. She was still limping and favoring on what looked like one of her front legs. She squealed when she got herself back up into the truck. In the truck she layed calmly in my lap. When we arrived home she again would not jump down out of my lap to get out...which is extremely abnormal for her. I picked her up and placed her on the ground. She just stood there and did not want to take a step. We encouraged her to take a step and she squealed, could barely walk and not it seemed that she was having significant trouble walking on her hind legs. I picked her up and carried her in the house and layed her down. We started to examine her. Her vaginal area looks more swollen than usual. I tried to look around and in it which made her squeal in pain. It looked like there was possbily a dark red burgundy little bulge inside and a little clear red looking fluid. Nothing has discharged that I know of. After I layed there with her for a bit I asked her to get up to lay down on the couch with a blanket. She cried in pain, could barely use her back legs. She did get herself up on the couch but couldn't move once up there standing. I had to pick her up and lay her down. She squealed in pain then too. We also gave her a doggie tramadol and a doggie muscle relaxer to help her with the pain. What could this be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help or you've already had Annabelle attended to by her vet. You deserve the courtesy of a reply. My initial concern would be cervical myelopathy (spinal cord disorder involving her neck) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") or encephalopathy (brain disorder) such as a meningoencephalitis. I don't believe that her vaginal change is related to her other symptoms. It sounds as if she's in proestrus - the stage before estrus (heat).

Needless to say, she requires the attention of her vet. Her symptoms are worrisome of serious central nervous sytem disorder. Please give me an update on Annabelle.