Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had diarrhea days. What should we do to

Customer Question
My dog has had diarrhea...
My dog has had diarrhea for two days. What should we do to clear it up?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken in small more frequent meals (canned chicken is much more acidic with a salt base and may add to the dehydration). You may want to wait 24 hours of fasting to allow the stomach contractions to subside, the gi tract to rest, then reset before restarting feedings. Dogs can surprisingly go days to weeks without meals, imagine dogs in the wild who survive periods of time without catching anything to eat- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily - Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools- Add water to the smaller meals to ensure hydrationIf there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!