Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a skin laceration approximately 1 1/2, I have…

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a skin laceration approximately 1 1/2 long, I have furazone ointment. Is it safe use it on her? container says horses only??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No bleeding, did not seem to impact sub facial area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

Lil, 1 1/2 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lil?

Healthy and active. wound just inside hind left leg near center line

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How deep is the laceration? Is it full thickness through the skin?

Does it appear to gape open or do the edges lie aligned?

How old is it?

it is through the skin, it does gape open, and it is about 30 hours.

Thank you,

Now if the wound is gaping open, then we do need to tread with care. The reason is because it will be more difficult for the body to granulate and heal then one that has edges lying in apposition. Therefore, if it is severely gaping, then it would be ideal to have your local vet stitch or staple this closed.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, after flushing the wound with a dog safe antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, or salt water) you can pat this dry and apply Furazone. This can be done 2-3 times daily as long as she isn't licking it from the wound. Therefore, to prevent that you will need to consider having an e-collar on her until this is fully healed. So, that would be our first aid option here if it is not greatly gaping., but again if it is then we'd want to think about having it closed surgically to speed the body's ability to heal this without scarring or risk of infection.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Dr. B.

*Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet