Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What do I do my puppies ate a piece of herion cause my

Customer Question
cousin dropped it...
What do I do my puppies ate a piece of herion cause my cousin dropped it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
My cousin stopped over and we know he's on herion and my 7 week old puppie ate something black and now it's lathargic and very wanting to sleep and acting weird
2/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat it?

Do you have any idea of how much she had?

Is she very sedate and sleepy?

What else is she doing that's "weird"? Wobbly, breathing slower then usual?

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you, but as this is a very serious situation I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now if she is already showing signs, you need to be proactive since this drug can dangerously slow the heart, breathing, cause severe sedation, and even lead to a coma or death.

Now since she is already showing signs, this means she has already started absorbing this and it wont be safe to induce vomiting (since she could aspirate vomit into her lungs). Therefore, the best option is to get her to your vet or an ER vet urgently. They won’t care about what she has had and you will have client confidentiality. Their only concern will be getting her onto IV fluids to flush this out and treat her with the antidote (naloxone). That way they can prevent her signs from worsening and prevent any risk of harm for your wee one.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian