Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has had a really cracked nose few years now. It

Customer Question
My dog has had a...
My dog has had a really cracked nose for a few years now. It almost starts splitting, if I don't put the synotic that the vet gave me, on it. A few years back another vet had him on a pretty large prednisone regimen. Come to find out, it wasn't fixing it and it was actually hurting him. So about two years ago I took him to a new vet and she referred me to a dermatologist. The dermatologist said the synoptic would get rid of it. And we could slowly ween him off of it. It's a topical liquid. And I don't think it hurts him. But it's almost like whatever is causing the dry nose cracking is getting resistant. Help..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are couple things that this can be and your vet will have to biopsy this area to know for sure. One is an Autoimmune condition called Lupus which will respond to steroid treatments. The other is a condition called Collie Nose or Nasal Solar Dermatitis that is caused by a photosensitization and will require sunblock. These are not serious but uncomfortable.

here is a LINK that explains in more detail.

It would be best, ***** ***** biopsy has not been done on Tug, that this be performed to know for sure how best to treat Tug. He could be coming resistant to the medication but your vet needs to find the cause for this in order to find the correct treatment for his condition.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tug has had two biopsies done. One by the vet that put him on a heavy prednisone regimen. And the other by the dermatologist. Both said the biopsy was inconclusive. Which seemed to be an expensive way of telling me they would have to take their best guess. If one had worked, I'd be happy with the results. That's not the case. The vet that put him on prednisone thought it was lupus. The biopsy was inconclusive, but that's what he thought. The dermatologist said it wasn't lupus, and after having tug on prednisone for almost 2 years, I believed that was true. However, the biopsy they took was also inconclusive. Nothing seems to be fixing the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know of this will help, but his nose cracks right down the middle. And it swells. If not managed. Even managed it always has a crack, or opening down the middle, and is a little swollen.

This could be any of the conditions that causes this cracking nose syndrome. I wish I could be more specific but if the prednisone did not cure it and the biopsy was inconclusive, seems like it is another issue. I know this is hard on you but it also may be a genetic defect that you can only manage but never cure. Probably continue with the Synotic if that is helping or a cortisone creme but, as you know, often this causes them to lick more. So sorry that I could not be more help for your poor sweet Tug....

Sincerely. Dr. Loretta

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tug. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian