Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My son has a nose pit that is 11 weeks. Today reason, he

Customer Question
My son has a bull...
My son has a bull nose pit that is 11 weeks. Today for some reason, he became very lethargic and is not drinking. His body feels very warm like he has fever.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is he eating for you?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He had diarrhea yesterday morning. He did eat and drink. We took him for a walk, seemed ok. Then rest day he was very lethargic, body was hot. Didn't eat or drink rest day/night, just slept. His belly does seem a little "puffy". There's no eye discharge or nose. His saliva however is a little slimy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He kept whining all afternoon also

Thank you,

Based on the signs you have reported, I'd be concerned that your son's dog has a GI infection brewing causing both nausea (which is what would put him off food/water) and the diarrhea. We can see these signs with dietary indiscretions, pancreatitis, and ingestion of foreign bodies as well; but hose usually won't make them feel febrile as you have noted here. Though I do have to note that if that belly looks distended or you notice any pain in that region, then we'd also have to be concerned of possible bloat or gut twists (less likely with fever, but something we do need to keep an eye out for since they are urgent when they arise).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And if he isn't able to keep these down, then that would be a red flag that we need your local vet to bypass his mouth with injectable treatment.

Though if he keeps that down and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea.

Finally, if his stools are very runny, you can also consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger these upper and lower GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, appetite stimulants, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's not vomitting at all and diarrhea has subsided. He's simply very lethargic and fever. I assume lethargy is due to not drinking, but his symptoms are not that as described for gi.

Hi again,

I did appreciate that he wasn't vomiting, but his signs are still very suggestive of nausea. And that will put them off food even without vomiting. So, I do think its worth treating with an antacid. As well, it'd be idea to be at least ready to treat for diarrhea, since there is a risk that could return once we get him eating for us. Finally, if we cannot get him eating with those or he is very feverish, then we will need him seen since there are no safe OTC fever reducers that we'd can use in this case.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My son just told me that he did let him eat "not his food" at a friends house night before. So maybe the other dog food upset his stomach. Then when he was at my house he ate my dogs food😁

Hi again,

If he wasn't accustomed to those other foods, that could certainly cause nausea and anorexia. And if those diets were richer then he was used to, then a pancreatitis could also result. So, that may be our trigger here and the supportive care we discussed would be of benefit for this.

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian