Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 50 lb. Dog with acute periodontal disease and have

Customer Question
a bottle of liquid penicillin...
I have a 50 lb. Dog with acute periodontal disease and have a bottle of liquid penicillin. It's 300,000 units per ml.how many ml would be a good dose and would 2x daily be OK?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Shelley,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Shelley,

sorry to hear Jack is unwell however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The typical dose of penicillin G for injection in the dog ranges from 10,000 to 25,000 units per pound of your dog's bodyweight given twice a day for a five to seven day period.

2. A 50 lb dog would need a minimum dose of 50 x 10,000 = 500,000 IU { Maximum dose 50 x 25,000 = 1,250,000 iu }

3. So in your case if the concentration is 300,000 IU per ml then I would be normally suggest a mid range of 3 ml twice a day.

4. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug is used in dogs : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Shelly,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the penicillin dose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian