Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 4 month old puppy's anus is red and appears swollen. I

Customer Question

My 4 month old puppy's anus is red and appears swollen. I just noticed it this evening. Is he too young to have anal sac issues or could it be something else? He's never been seen by our vet for this issue.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gulliver
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gulliver?
Customer: no, he just had his last puppy check-up and shots last month.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

My primary concern would be a rectal prolapse which can occur more frequently in puppies of this age...CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Yes it is possible it is the anal glands but at this age you are correct that it is much less likely.

If this is a rectal prolapse as I suspect then please consider a veterinary er. This tissue is very fragile and needs to be treated quickly to ensure viability of the tissue of the rectum

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you bot today. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

.