Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What is the maximum dosage of previcox 70 pound dog?
,

Customer Question
What is the maximum...

What is the maximum dosage of previcox for a 70 pound dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Our dog is 14 years old and the vet prescribed previcox of 1/2 tablet a day because she was having trouble walking and had a head tilt. She did pretty well on that for a couple of months but now she is not doing as well and I am wondering if we can up the dosage?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. I am just typing up a response now, and will have something with you in the next 5 minutes or so.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. It sounds like your girl is on half of a 227mg tablet once per day, which is a little under what she could potentially have, however, your vet has likely prescribed this particular amount as she is older, and as half of a 227mg tablet is easier to give than a fraction more than that. The typical dose for Previcox is 2.27mg/lb of body weight. So that would be 158mg for a 70 pound dog, or around 2/3 of one tablet. This is pretty hard to measure when giving these big tablets, but you could potentially ask your vet if you could give 3 x 57mg tablets per day.

An alternative here would be to opt for a different anti inflammatory drug such as Rimadyl or Metacam, or to continue with the Previcox at the current dose, but to add in some more pain relief from a drug like Tramadol. Tramadol is cheap and a very effective pain relief for older dogs. This can be given in tandem with an anti inflammatory drug like Previcox as well which makes it ideal. I would definitely encourage you to discuss this drug with your vet when you next get the chance.

If you do want to increase the dose of Previcox you are currently giving your girl, do make sure you follow up and get approval from your veterinarian first and foremost. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian