Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a very bad ear infection I need help pleas

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I will do my best to assist you and your little one but if there is a serious infection it will require medications of which I am unable to prescribe over the internet

Things you can try to get her comfortable:

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch and discomfort of an infection/ inflammatory response. May sedate mildly
- 75/25 Water to white vinegar solution with cotton balls to wipe the ears out every 1-2 days (no q tips!) and remove any debris and infection
- Take a moist towel and put it in the freezer and apply to the ear or side of the face for relief of discomfort
- If you have any previously prescribed pain medication for her then that can also provide relief as well
- Please no over the counter ointments or salves which can put the tympanic membrane or inner ear at risk

I hope this makes sense and helps guide the treatment for your little one. Again if this is a moderate infection unfortunately it will require prescription topical medication to treat and hopefully allow this inflammation to resolve swiftly...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and your little dog to see how she is doing today? I would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!