Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** i have a chesapeake bay retriever

Customer Question
hello my name is *****...
hello my name is ***** ***** i have a chesapeake bay retriever that has been going for adaquin shots ,and seems to loose her appetite
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she 13 years old and gets stiff legs , so the vet recommended adaquin but since shes been getting the shots shes lost her appetite
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
shes had no appetite what so ever
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Chesapeake Bay Retriever. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is she taking anything for her stiff legs, besides the Adequan? How long has she been getting the shots?

Is she vomiting? Is she drinking water?

I have done some research and loss of appetite has not been reported in dogs on Adequan, so there might be another reason for her losing her appetite. Have any blood tests been done recently, to check her kidney function, etc.?

If you look at her gums, do they look a normal bright pink or do they seem pale at all?

The main reported side effect with Adequan is abnormal blood clotting and bleeding so you see things like pale gums, bruises on the skin, etc.

Since she is 13, and not eating, I would be doing a thorough physical exam to palpate lymph nodes and internal organs, listening to her heart, checking blood tests if that has not been recently done, especially if you stop the Adequan and her appetite does not return.

Please let me know what other questions you have.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Let me know how she is doing and if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian