Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Olive trees were sprayed with Maintain cf125, main active…

Customer Question
Olive trees were sprayed with...
Olive trees were sprayed with Maintain cf125, main active ingredient Methyl 2-chloro-9-hydroxyfluorene-9-carboxylate 8.8%.
Dogs now have bad diarrhea & are sick.
What can I do to help them??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

This herbicide caused hematological effects (decreased erythrocytes, hemoglobin, and hematocrit) seen by week 4 in a 24-month feeding study of dogs at the highest dose tested (approximately 43 mg/lb/day). Acute toxicity studies are lacking in dogs but it's not unreasonable to assume that gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea could arise after exposure. There's no specific antidote and so treatment would be supportive in form of supplemental fluids and electrolytes given subcutaneously or intravenously, an antacid to provide comfort such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb twice daily and a gastrointestinal coating agent such as PeptoBismol (bismuth subsalicylate) liquid dosed at up to 1 mL (1/5 measuring teaspoon) per pound of body weight 3-4 times daily.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian