Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was bit by another dog yesterday. seems to be running…

Customer Question
my dog was bit by...
my dog was bit by another dog yesterday. seems to be running a fever. what can i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago
Ola Barrett

Hello, I am Dr Ola B and I am a small animal veterinarian. If he was in a dog fight yesterday and now he is exhibiting symptoms of a fever (warm to the touch, lethargic, decreased appetite) it is highly likely that the bite wound has caused systemic infection. The best thing at this point would be for you take him to a 24 hour emergency animal hospital for a veterinarian to treat him to reduce his fever (most likely with intravenous or subcutaneous fluids), assess and clean his wounds and start him on the appropriate antibiotics. If he is symptomatic of a fever, I would not wait to him in any longer as infection and secondary fever can become serious very quickly. I hope this advice was helpful to you. Let me know if you have other questions or need me to expand on or clarify anything. Also, if you are happy with my response to you, please take the time at any point in our conversation to rate my answers..

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello, I am just checking to see your dog is doing following the dog bite and my advice? If my response was helpful, please take the time to rate my response so I may receive credit for assisting you and your pet?