Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 16 month old Rottweiler puppy who gets into

Customer Question
everything. He eats socks, wood...
I have a 16 month old Rottweiler puppy who gets into everything. He eats socks, wood, his toys etc. we started spraying everything with bitter apple spray to deter him. About 1 week ago he went out to poop and literally pooped white poop and it was powdery. I read up and it said possible dehydration I made sure over the next few days he drank a lot and his poop is back to normal. Around the same last week the dog threw up bile. Again I just made sure he stayed hydrated. He is still as active as always running around playing and happy go lucky. He has now been vomiting every few days and now the vomit is substance not bile. Looks like food he's throwing up. He is still eating drinking , playing and pooping normally. I don't know if I should take him to the vet I just lost my job and money is tight. someone suggested giving the dog mineral oil in case he has a blockage it might help lubricate. I called my vet this morning but he has not returned the call yet. Please help this is my baby.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we do need to tread with care with Diesel.

His signs do raise concerns of a possible foreign body causing at least a partial obstruction but also raises causes of a possible GI infection, viral issue (Rotties are prone to parvo, so we need to be really careful), pancreatitis or dietary indiscretion.

In this case, we do need to monitor his hydration as you have been, but we need to see if we can soothe his stomach. In regards ***** ***** you could try at home, I'd note that you can try him with an OTC antacid just now. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

If he can keep it down and settles,you can then start him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Whichever you choose to feed, you can add a fiber source (a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) +/- cat hair ball treatment (its safer to use if he is vomiting since mineral oil could be aspirated and cause terrible issues). As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, with his history and age, we do have a few worries for his current signs. Still, you can try an antacid to try to soothe his stomach and the above to settle it and push anything hiding through the gut. Of course, if he doesn't respond to this, has belly pain, pale gums, or strains to pass stool; then we would want him checked to make sure there isn't a blockage that needs intervention to avoid gut damage and get him back to normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

He's been tested for worms and takes his pill once a month. Is there anything to help him expelled what may be stuck?

Hello again,

I am glad to hear he has been tested and treated for worms, as that would make that less likely to be a culprit here. In that case, as I noted before we need to settle his stomach first. You can use cat hairball treatment and the fiber to help push anything caught through as you do. And once the vomiting is settled (only then) and we don't have to worry about dangerous aspiration, you can then try adding few millilitres of lactuose or Miralax to his food to try and clear any obstruction here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm at the per store the only thing I found was cat food with hairball management. Is that what I need

Hi again,

No, we aren't looking for the diet options. Cat hairball treatment (ie Catalax, Laxatone, PetSmart brand -example etc) are gel or paste type formulation. So, do check with the store clerk as most carry these.

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Diesel. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian