Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I misread the label and just gave my puppies 10x the dosage…

Customer Question
Hi there, I misread the...
Hi there, I misread the label and just gave my puppies 10x the dosage of pyrantel strongid, but I'm 4 hours away from a vet. Should I induce vomiting? Or just see what happens? What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did you give this?

About a half hour ago

Thank you.

In this situation, we do need to tread with care since this drug can cause some serious adverse signs. Specifically, we can see this cause drooling, GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss), increased heart rate, agitation, wobbliness, tremors, and seizures.

With this in mind, since they had this so recently and the ER is so far, we are best to err on the side of caution. To start, you can try to induce vomiting at home by administering 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move their abdomens around or get your wee ones walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to offset any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals. And if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if either pup has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Just in case there is a closer ER vet to you, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

How long after should I expect side effects
should I induce vomiting right away, regardless of whether or not I see side effects?

Hi again,

Usually we will see signs within a few hours post ingestion. In regards ***** ***** vomiting, that will only be of benefit for a short time. Once they absorb it (within the first 2 hours), they will develop signs and it will be too late to induce vomiting. Therefore, we always do that ASAP to avoid absorption and thus adverse signs.

All the best,

Dr. B.

*Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Callie And Odin. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian