Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yellow diarrhea in dogs treatment/

Customer Question
yellow diarrhea in dogs treatment/...
yellow diarrhea in dogs
treatment/
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The yellow color of this diarrhea is often caused by bile and this can be caused by a metabolic issue. The treatment commonly used for this is as follows:

Fast Lilly for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.
Give her Imodium AD at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs.
After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).

If this has resolved, wean Lilly onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine your Lilly. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly. Blood work on Lilly may be required.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Elaine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian