Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a newfie thats 2 years old, thursday he started

Customer Question
I have a newfie...

I have a newfie thats 2 years old, thursday he started smelling really bad at first we thought he had rolled in something so we scrubed his neck where there was this brown crusting on his fur. Friday night he starting smelling terrible again and we noticed there was a lump, that seemed to be secreting liquid but theres nothing apparent on his skin?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Foul smelling liquid from lump on neck but no onvious opening in skin

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is the lump in the same area where the crusting was?

What color was the discharge? Does it smell?

It smells very very bad, yes the crusting os at the same place. The discharge seems to be a dark yellow or brown

Thank you,

Based on what you have described, I suspect your lad has an abscess draining pus (which will absolutely stink) and that the crusting is either dried discharge from this or a secondary bacterial dermatitis. Now since we have an abscess, it'd be ideal to have him seen by the local vet for antibiotics since otherwise we tend to see these rupture and recur due to bacterial being trapped inside the skin. As well, if the abscess is large, they can also open it, flush out the pus, and get that infection out of their quicker.

In the meantime, since this isn't an emergency and you can wait for your vet to open if they are not at the moment, if he will allow you can try (while wearing gloves) to gently express the pus from abscess to get as much of it out as possible. Afterwards, you can flush the abscess and wash the surrounding skin with a mild antiseptic like dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This can be done 2-3 times daily. Of course, do hold off if this is sore for him.

Overall, this sounds very likely to be an abscess and they do tend to reek since that pus/discharge is full of bacteria. So, in a case like this we can treat the skin topically but will need antibiotics to get those bacteria our of his skin and allow this to heal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian